Listening Books provide a postal and internet-based audiobook service to children and young people who have a disability or illness that impacts their ability to read the printed word. They have a huge range of fiction and non-fiction titles for both adults and children and support the National Curriculum from Key Stage 2 to A-Level. With over 9,000 titles in their full catalogue, there is something for everyone.
In this age of digital success, there’s no reason why a child shouldn’t be able to enjoy the same books as their peers, and with the inclusion of Listening Books as one of your school resources, teachers will be able to offer a greater inclusion and understanding for their pupils.
How can I access Listening Books?
You will need your login details to access Listening Books. Please contact emPSN at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01604 879869 and we can supply your school with login details.
Listening Books is available via your computer or via an app for your mobile device called OverDrive
From a browser on your computer
- Visit the website www.listening-books.org.uk
- Enter your username and password. You will now be able to search for an audio book by its name, author, reader, synopsis, or other criteria. Enter the details and click search.
- You can also narrow down the selection by choosing an option from one of the drop-down menus, such as Genre, Key stage, suitable age, subject or duration.
- If you would like to know more about the book, click on the title.
- The book will appear to the right of the screen – simply click ‘Play’ and begin listening.
From your mobile device phone or tablet
- Find the OverDrive app in the app or Play store on your phone or tablet and create an account.
- You will then need to ‘Add a library’. Type in LISTENING BOOKS to find the library. You will then be able to search for books and download or listen live by logging into your Listening Books account with your username and password.
Conditions of Use
Listening Books is a very useful learning resource, it’s very simple to use and can provide an educational lifeline for those students who struggle to read due to an illness or disability. Please note, Listening Books is a charity, and these books must only be used with students who have an illness, disability, or learning difficulty which makes it difficult to read or hold a book. They must not be downloaded, modified, copied, reproduced, transferred, distributed, leased, licensed, or publicly performed in any way, and are offered for non-commercial use only. It is the teacher’s responsibility to monitor the titles that students listen to. The username and password provided should not be distributed. If you think that your login details have been compromised, please contact email@example.com who will arrange for new details to be provided for you.
Please click here to view Listening Books Terms and Conditions.