NEN – The National Education Network
Job Description NEN Professional Officer
Up to 10 days a month for 1 year fixed term, in the first instance
£400 per day including an element of performance-related pay
Location: Flexible (but a lot of work is expected in London)
Reports To: Chair of NEN Managers’ Group
NEN – The Education Network, is formed by the regional learning grids across the UK and provides excellence in advice, services, support and expertise for schools.
NEN exists to serve the interests of learners and schools and its constituent members include Regional Broadband Consortia, local authorities, the devolved administrations, digital industries and, as appropriate, government departments and other agencies.
It is a partnership that values the knowledge, expertise and resources of all constituent members and agrees to promote its core values and principles and has partnerships with national, regional and local organisations to deliver best value, improve efficiency and enable high-quality learning experiences.
- To foster and promote the contribution of NEN to UK education
- To be the main point of contact for NEN
- To represent and positively promote NEN
- To undertake projects and activities as directed by NEN Managers’ Group
- To contribute to the formulation of policy and its implementation
- To plan, organise and run the annual NEN conference
- To advise and support NEN Managers’ Group
- To assist other NEN sub-groups from time to time
- To maintain and update NEN web site and social media feeds
- A good understanding of the UK education system at local and national level, preferably from a background within or supplying the UK education sector
- Awareness of Education Policy and funding
- Comfortable with understanding new applications and good grasp of web technologies
- Understanding of broadband infrastructure
- Confident speaking and presentation skills
- Appropriate organisational experience
- Strong writing skills
The successful applicant will most likely be an experienced person with knowledge of the UK education sector, looking for a new challenge and the freedom and responsibility that comes with working in a small organisation. As such, s/he will already have strong experience of most, if not all, of the responsibilities listed above.
Beyond this, the successful applicant will also be able to work under their own initiative and have the ability to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally. To this end, s/he will need at all times to be:
- Highly motivated, results-oriented and have a clear focus on providing service
- Positive in outlook with a willingness to support and aid colleagues
- Familiarity with and competence in the use of technology to support effective working practices
- A natural forward planner who critically assesses her/his own performance
- Able to focus on the finer details, while retaining a holistic view of NEN
- Credible with a professional demeanour, comfortable in dealing with people at all levels
- Well-presented, business-like and keen to gain new experiences, responsibilities and accountabilities
- Tenacious and proactive, articulate and numerate and able to work both as part of a team and under their own initiative
Further information about the NEN can be found at www.NEN.gov.uk For more details, or to apply, please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com If you would like an informal discussion or have further questions, please contact Chris Kastel 07974 568826 Chris.Kastel@e2bn.org in the first instance.
Applications should be received via email by midday, Friday, February 26th 2016. It is anticipated that interviews will be held during week commencing March 7th 2016.