Notice: Please note this service has changed. From the 1st March 2018, certificates will only be issued for up to 2 years. This is a change of industry regulation outside of emPSN control.
In partnership with Janet, emPSN are able to offer SSL Certificates which are Organisation Validated (OV). OV certificates are typically used for standard HTTPS/SSL type services supplied with a Common Name CN. OV certificates can also have multiple Subject Alternative Names SANs, permitting use of multiple named systems. emPSN are able to obtain OV certificates from Janet on your behalf on the basis that the domains being used are registered in the schools name, or the schools organisational name.
Extended Validation (EV) certificates, Unified Communications (UC) and Wildcard (*.Domain) are available from the Janet service but at present these are not available to schools. Although Wildcard certificates are not available, certificates with multiple Subject Alternative Names (SANs) can be supplied with OV certificates.
There is a cost of £75 for a certificate but we can issue them for either 1 or 2 year (3 year certs were only available until 28th Feb 2018) duration for the same price, providing a discount of almost 80% to that of the commercial market. As of September 2017 there will be a supplementary charge for SANs dependant on the number of names used, the new rates are as follows:
£75 for certificates with 4 or less domains (maximum 1 CN + 3 SANs)
£111 for certificates with 5 but less than 10 domains (max 1 CN + 8 SANs)
£183 for certificates with 10 but less than 20 domains (max 1 CN + 18 SANs)
£242 for certificates with 20 but less than 30 domains (max 1 CN + 28 SANs)
£314 credits for certificates with 30 up to 50 domains (max 1 CN + 49 SANs)
As of 1st March 2018 we will no longer be able to issue 3 year certificates.
What is an Organisation Validated Certificate?
- Displays certificate owners’ legal name to visitors
- Supports up 49 additional domains in SAN fields
- Can be used in Microsoft’s unified communications environments, including Exchange
- Certificate duration for one, two or three years
These certificates provide single domain and multi-domain SSL encryption. They offer high-level protection of 128/256 bit encryption and are 2048-bit ready, securing the certificate for several years.
These certificates are organisation validated (OV) which means that the organisation to which this certificate has been issued to has been verified as a legal organisation.
How can I use this service?
To use the service we will require you to supply the following information:
- A purchase order reference for the certificate.
- A certificate request in the form of a CSR file or a copy of the CSR information – if you are unsure how to do this information and help is available here – https://support.comodo.com/index.php and search for ‘CSR Generation’
- The details of the device or application the certificate is for including the version.
- As part of the process there is the need to validate your domain via emails, verification will need to be issued to an predetermined address at the domain registered to the school ie
Please stipulate which of the above addresses before the @ is to be used to validate the domain. This is required for each domain name used in the certificate.
When the certificate is due to expire, the certificate service will issue a reminder to indicate expiry is near. Please let us know the address you would like to use.
To produce the certificate, emPSN also need :
- to know the type of certificate you need and the duration 1 or 2 years.
- the school name and number as it is provided in the DNS whois record held at Nominet which should be the same as that held at EduBase.
- the name of the person at the school who can be emailed by Janet to confirm that emPSN can request the certificate on the schools behalf. The school will also receive a Domain Name Validation email to which they need to respond
- and a PO from the school to emPSN
How can I get some help?
Visit the Janet website for more information on certificate types. There are different lead times depending on which certificate you choose.
Creating Certificate Requests (CSR) – visit the Comodo website and search for ‘CSR Generation’
To contact emPSN about purchasing a certificate please email firstname.lastname@example.org