What is it?
Listening Books support the National Curriculum from Key Stage 2 to A-Level and have a huge range of fiction and non-fiction titles for both adults and children who have an illness, disability or learning difficulty which makes it difficult to read or hold a book. Listening to audiobooks allows children and young people to listen to the same books that their friends and peers are reading, helping to instil a greater understanding and enjoyment of literature.
All of our schools that are connected to the emPSN network, have free access to this wonderful service which is a great resource for any educational establishment.
Listening Books offers a streaming service. It is easy to use, as it only requires clicking on the title for the audiobook to load. From there, students can simply click the play button, and the audiobook will start streaming. This is different from the previous service in that there are no plug-ins required, so access should be improved.
How can I access this?
To use the service please contact us and we will provide you with login details – email@example.com
Listening books is available via your computer or via an app for your mobile device called OverDrive
From a Browser on your computer….
- Visit the website www.listening-books.org.uk
- Now enter your username and password.You will now be able to Search for an audio book by its name, author, reader, synopsis or other criteria. Enter the details and click Search
- You can also narrow down the selection by choosing an option from one of the drop down menus such as Genre, KeyStage, suitableAge, subject or Duration.
- If you would like to know a bit more about the book, click on the title.
- The book will appear to the right of the screen—simply click ‘Play’ and begin listening!
From your mobile device phone or tablet
- Find the OverDrive app in the app or Play store on your phone or tablet and create an account.
- Next you will need to ‘Add a Library’. Type in LISTENING BOOKS to find the library. You will then be able to search for books and download or listen live by logging into your Listening Books account with your username and password.
What about off Network?
To access Listening Books away from the empsn network you will require a username and password, the empsn team can provide you with these details.
Conditions of Use
Listening Books is a very useful learning resource, its very simple to use and can provide an educational lifeline for those students who struggle to read due to an illness or disability. Please note, Listening Books is a charity and these books must only be used with students who have an illness, disability or learning difficulty which makes it difficult to read or hold a book. They must not be downloaded, modified, copied, reproduced, transferred, distributed, leased, licensed or publicly performed in any way, and are offered for non-commercial use only. It is the teachers’ responsibility to monitor the titles that students listen to. The username and password provided should not be distributed. If you think that your login details have been compromised, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, who will arrange for new details to be provided for you.
Please note, the titles offered here are a selection of the 7000+ audiobooks offered by Listening Books.
Please click here to view Listening Books Terms and Conditions.